The embrace of the first captive returned shows that the girls could be reintegrated into society when they are rescuedJust two days after a vigilante group found one of the missing schoolgirls that had been kidnapped more than two years ago by the militant group Boko Haram from a government school in Chibok, Nigeria, a Nigerian military spokesman announced on May 19 that a second schoolgirl had been rescued in a military operation against the terror group. The recovery of the two young women is a victory for the global #BringBackOurGirls campaign, and the first real sign that an agonizing chapter in Nigeria’s ongoing fight with Islamist militancy may yet come to an end.
For parents of the remaining girls whose whereabouts are unknown, it is reason to start hoping again. “Well, you know, it just shows that God is working miracles, even when we start to lose faith,”Reverend Enoch Mark, the father and adoptive father of two of the missing women, tells TIME by telephone. “I expect to hear from my girls again.”
Nigerian army spokesman Sani Usman said in an emailed statement that Serah Luka had been among 97 women and children rescued by the military following clashes with Boko Haram in the country’s northeast. “We are glad to state that among those rescued is a girl believed to be one of the Chibok Government Secondary School girls that were abducted,” Usman said in the statement, which was obtained by Reuters.