Type: Fixed term contract, 1st April 2016 – 31st December 2020
Deadline for applications: 18thMarch 2016
Start date: April/May 2016
Location: Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
GESCI, the Global E-Schools and Communities Initiative, is a non-profit organisation founded by the United Nations ICT Taskforce. GESCI, with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, provides strategic advice and assistance to Governments in the socio-economic development of their countries through the widespread integration of technologyfor knowledge society development, especially in the education, skills training, leadership, and community development domains. See: www.gesci.org
The African Digital Schools Initiative (ADSI) funded by The MasterCard Foundation is a 5-year initiative presenting a new methodology to transform secondary schools into digital schools of distinction. It is designed specifically to build secondary-level student 21st century skills and teachers’ innovative practice in a way that is responsive to the needs of the market place and to the emerging knowledge economies and societies. The ADSI model is a phased approach for digital whole school development in ICT use to incrementally move schools and teachers towards transformative educational practice and quality student learning outcomes. The blended learning model of school-based and online professional development is furthermore a cost-effective and sustainable model for educational transformation. The programme will be implemented in collaboration with the Ministries of Education and their associated agencies in Kenya, Tanzania and Cote d’Ivoire.
The ADSI targets for Tanzania are:
- Tanzania: 3 Teachers’ Colleges, 10 school support teams, 40 secondary schools, 400 teachers and approx. 20,000 students
GESCI is looking to recruit a passionate, dynamic, results-driven and experienced Country Project Manager for Tanzania well-versed in managing country programmes in the education and training field. S/he will lead, coordinate and manage a country project team consisting of project coordinators and School-Based Coordinators. S/he will report to the ADSI Programme Manager and work closely with key designated GESCI team of specialists and experts,Ministry of Education officials and other partners to design, develop and implement theTanzania country projectand its activities. S/hemust have a track record of delivering services with high impact and high quality results.
Within the context and scope of the overall ADSI Programme, the Tanzania Project Manager is responsible for:
- Planning, organizing, directing and managing the day-to-day activities of the country project
- Providing leadership, coordination, guidance and supervision to the country project team in the performance of their assigned tasks and responsibilities to ensure the successful delivery of the country project activities
- Delivering the country project objectives, outputs and outcomes to GESCI, MCF, Government of Tanzania, partner institutions and beneficiaries
- Effectively managing the country project resources and relationships with a wide range of groups and individuals (e.g. other Project Managers, Project Coordinators, relevant MoE and participating institution staff, School Leaders, School-Based Coordinators and School-Based Teams)
- Working with Ministry of Education, other relevant Ministry officials and other country partners and stakeholders to select schools, maintain relationships with them and support them through the implementation of project activities
- Contributing to the development of the whole school and teacher development models, curriculum materials and training of country project staff
- Contributing to the conceptualization and development of Programme/Project frameworks, templates, concept notes, data collection instruments, project tools and proposals
- Meeting project timelines, meeting or exceeding standards of quality, and achieving the highest level of overall partner and stakeholder satisfaction at country level.
Education and professional qualifications
- Master’s degree (or higher) in Education/ICT in Education/related field (R)
- Project management certification (D)
(D) = Desirable
Skills and experience
- Minimum of 5+ years teaching/training experience at secondary/post -secondary level
- Minimum of 5+ years’ direct project management experience, including project planning, resourcing, implementation, monitoring and reporting processes, procedures and tools
- Proven track record of delivering services with high impact and high quality results
- Experience with managing education country projects and managing staff dispersed across different locations
- Demonstrated research and report writing experience
- Knowledge of the Tanzania education context and experience of working in Tanzania education sector.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to use project management tools and software
- Ability to work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment with multi-cultural teams, government ministries and diverse stakeholders
- Ability to ensure quality deliverables and project timelines while maintaining high attention to detail
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to grasp and understand project concepts and issues
- Demonstrated skills for efficient and timely project planning, scheduling and managing of allocated budget
- Sound judgment, excellent English communication skills and interpersonal skills
Please submit your detailed CV, proof of credentials and names of referees along with a cover letter specifying why you qualify for this position to Patti Swarts, Director of Programmes, GESCI, to the following e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 18th March 2016.Kindly note that only candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements need apply.Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.